Friday, June 8, 2007

I’m AMAZING!

I was at a wedding shower last night that consisted of a lot of laughs and some good old-fashion bowling. I am a terrible bowler. I may have a few good one’s but I realized that they are few and far between a.k.a the lucky one’s. My lack of talent sparked this entry.

Have you ever noticed that no one ever says that they are great at something, sports in particular? Now, I do not know any professional athletes (minus Mike Iggulden – soon to be the next big name in hockey...haha!) so I don't include them in this discussion.

When asked if you are good at a sport have you ever said, “Yes, I’m amazing!”?

Last night I listened to everyone say they were not good at bowling yet many were really good. You can say you are good at your job or cooking, and even admit you are good looking but never in a sport. Is it because sports can be unpredictable and you want to avoid embarrassment or is it the thrill of exceeding someone’s expectations? I often wonder if it is a culture thing. Canadian’s are known to be considerate and somewhat passive. Is it ingrained in us not to brag even though we may be really good at something?

I don’t know the answer but I have really started to notice how many people do this. So to change things up a little, the next time someone asks me if I’m good at golf, I think I may say, “I’m incredible” just to see their reaction.

By the way, I’m only decent at best.

4 comments:

E. Bryce said...

I know you know my opinions about this entry...but I thought I would comment anyways! I am totally one who will not admit to being good at a sport...I believe I am athletic and try very hard at every sport I participate in...but by no means would I say I am unbelievable..ha imagine?!?!

Anonymous said...

Moo, I totally agree with you on this. I am fricking awesome at the following things (in no particular order): weeding, changing a dirty diaper, walking, spaing, buying cheese, driving on the highway, navigating a baby stroller on a busy sidewalk, cooking chicken, swimming, holding my breath under water, drinking wine in the presidential suite of the Banff Springs Hotel...

Unknown said...

I totally agree - but I think this extends farther than just sports. People in general have a hard time accepting compliments. When people say you look nice its typical for someone to say 'oh this old thing'.... I think everyone has one or two things they have no problem accepting compliments for but in general as Canadians we are not good at accepting praise! Next time I give you a compliment I hope you take credit and just say thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

sidebar Joser.....no need to put "haha" after the Mike comment, he will be the guy to watch in the NHL in the next couple of years!! but even he wouldn't admit to being amazing at hockey....and I think that has more to do with always knowing that there is someone who is better than you, and comparing yourself to them makes you feel less than amazing at a sport....