Sunday, March 1, 2009

Juggling Act

Hi my name is Josie and I put too much pressure on myself.

I don’t know if I inherited this trait from my parents or perhaps I picked it up after University, all I know is that I have a problem and need to address it.

I think it all starts with expectations. In my mind I want to be the perfect wife, valuable employee, helpful daughter, reliable sister, loyal friend, thoughtful daughter-in-law, admirable Aunt, and that’s on top of trying to be a responsible spender and a physically fit woman. I think it has worn me out in a way that I didn’t notice until today.

I want to be perfect at everything and make everyone around me happy. As a result, I didn’t realize that this notion has been the root cause of my stress. With such high expectations it is no wonder I have lost confidence in my abilities. So I have decided to make some changes.

I have given up the elevator at my office for Lent this year, but perhaps I should add a few more things. Until Easter, I’m going to give myself a break. I’m going to strive to do my best but brush it off if things aren’t perfect. I’m going to make a decision without feeling guilty. I’m going to be myself and not compare myself to others. I’m not going to worry about the future and live more in the moment. That is my pledge.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

You and I should talk. I feel EXACTLY the same way. I got fed up recently by the constant stress we put on ourselves (and accept without thinking twice). So I decided to do something about it. My blog is just one example of how I'm trying to make changes. Glad to know someone else feels the same way!