Saturday, May 19, 2007

What's your SSB?

My favourite show is and always will be Sex and the City. The title does not do it justice for the brilliant characters and lessons that come out of each and every episode. I know this may sound shocking but I can personally relate to Carrie, Charlotte, Miranda, and yes, even Samantha.

In one episode, Carrie talks about how all women have a SSB or Secret Single Behaviour. In this instance the word single actually does not refer to your relationship status. The key to an SSB, your Secret Single Behaviour, is that it is something you do indulgently and exclusively when alone because the presence of another person, especially a guy, ruins it because it makes you self-conscious about your utterly bizarre behaviour.


Some examples of SSB include:
  • Examining your pores up close in a mirror for at least an hour
  • Eating an entire pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream before it even has a chance to melt
  • Singing in front of the mirror with nothing but socks on

I started to think about what my SSB is. Turns out that I do quite a few things to lift my spirits when I'm alone. Perhaps that is why I’m a generally happy person. As much as I love being out on the social circuit, I really cherish my alone time too. As I have said to many of my girlfriends, you have to be comfortable being alone before you can be with someone else (another topic, for another time).

I will not indulge all my SSB’s since then they would no longer be secret, but I will tell you one. I’m a huge lover of music and listening to it makes me super happy. So when I’m alone I love to play my favourite tunes of the moment, then proceed to sing and dance around my house. What makes this bizarre is that most of the time I’m cleaning while I’m performing this little show (yes I am Monica Gellar from Friends - cleaning gives me pleasure!).

So come on readers! Ladies, guys, ‘marrieds’ and ‘singletons’, tell me your SSB and maybe we can help those who need to be inspired.

3 comments:

E. Bryce said...

My SSB is opening my closet doors, and dressor drawers and having an exclusive Erin Bryce fashion show in front of the mirror...I try on at least 10 complete outfits and think to myself..."what a great look" HA!

Anonymous said...

That is funny. My SSB would have to be just laying flat on my back, on the floor and just thinking and breathing. I know it is boring, but every once in a while, things get crazy and I just need to remember where I am, who I am and what I need to do. It is kind of like meditating.

However, I have been known to put on a little singing show too once in a while.

Keep the blogs coming, I love them!!

little h. said...

my ssb is that i talk to myself...including asking questions and responding all out loud...i go through times when im much chattier with myself than others....then i feel like a huge nerd....no judgement!