Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I hope you dance.

This past weekend was great from start to finish. The August long weekend has always been my favourite. I went to the bar, I camped, I ate, I laughed, I tanned, I danced. Boy did I dance! I found myself dancing it up Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night all at different events. I just can’t get enough of dancing and I'm one of those people that doesn’t need a drop of alcohol to do it. Just give me a fun beat or a song I can sing to and I will dance until the sun comes up.

I starting thinking of all those people, especially men, that hold back when then are at the bar or out listening to a band. I wish I could convince these people that they are really missing out. The excuse that most people use is “I’m a terrible dancer!” which is code for they don’t want to embarrass themselves. My response is that is there are only a few people that are amazing dancers the rest are just having fun, so get over yourself and start moving! No one expects you to bust out JT or BeyoncĂ© moves. I'm not good by any means, but if the beat is good I just go with the flow. Throw your hands up, lift your legs, do the two-step, lean-back, do whatever you feel like doing because dancing is way better then watching. Beside how fun it is, did you know that dancing can also burn as many calories as riding a bike? Imagine burning all those calories and not having to move more then a few feet in any direction or wear those horrible biking shorts!

While we may not all be hip-hopping into our nineties, dancing is one activity we can (hopefully) do for the rest of our lives and the sociability it provides is part of its allure. It's a great way to make new friends, be creative and expressive, and just plain old enjoy life.

So like the song says, “If you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me think of that saying "Dance like no one is watching". I agree - we need to get over ourselves and enjoy the moment - enjoy the music - enjoy the energy.

Life is for living - not for watching on the sidelines.

P.S. Glad you had a fabulous weekend.