Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Summer Bliss

We all have family traditions. Sometimes they are as simple as a holiday dinner at a grandparent’s house or a trip to the same tropical destination every year. As time passes some of these traditions have to change and new one’s start up. I know some people resist breaking a tradition but I have always been one to embrace it. I’m actually looking forward to creating many new traditions with my own family one day.

One of my favourite traditions is the “End of Summer Day” that Dave and I started a few years ago. As September approached everyone starts to feel sad, so we thought of doing something fun each year in order to always end the summer on a good note.


This year we took a ferry to Toronto Island and spent the day there. In my 27 years of living in Ontario I have never been to Toronto Island. It was beautiful! We toured the islands on old-school bikes, which I must say is the only way to go. We had a picnic, we ate ice cream, and we relaxed on the beach. I have always been grateful to live in Canada, and seeing the beauty of Toronto Island just made this feeling even stronger. Sometimes we think that we need to leave the country in order to have a vacation, but to me going to places like Toronto Island or even up to cottage country is all I need to do to feel content. Vacation is a state of mind. If you are saving money like me but are desperate for a break from the every day, just look at all the things you can do right here in Ontario.

So my advice to everyone is don’t be scared to be a tourist for a day in your own country and definitely think of ways you can start your own traditions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree Moo. The kids and I play tourist in Niagara Falls every once in a while. Ride the Maid, cruise The Hill...you know. And we even look like tourists because we're Asian :o) HAHAHA..we fit right in. It's awesome.

E. Bryce said...

ps. you need to up date your blog!!