Sunday, March 30, 2008

My Extended Family

My friends are very important to me. I have a small family and as a result I have come to the realization that my heart holds my girlfriends closer than what is probably common.

I started to think about my friends tonight and how each of them has added something wonderful to my life. I believe they have played a huge role in who I am today. Each friend has something that I admire or attribute that makes me want to be a better person.


Today my friend Erin ran the 30km "Around The Bay" run in Hamilton (oldest road race in North America) in 2 hours and 39 minutes – AMAZING! Over a delicious sushi dinner, she told me about the experience and about her plans to do more. We may have joked about her inability to walk after the race today but in my head I was thinking how incredible she is and how proud I am of her. You will never meet a girl with more drive and determination than Erin. Being around her makes me want to do more for my health and use each day to the fullest. My other friend Nat just had a beautiful little girl, Sophie Rose. She called me only a few hours after her labour. I could sense her excitement but could also hear the calmness in her voice, which made me feel a sense of pride. I was so impressed that she delivered a baby and was already doing so well. Within hours of birth, I could tell she is going to be a fabulous mother. Woman are seriously awesome.

The people in our lives truly influence our character. I guess that is why most parents want their teenagers to stay away from the “bad kids”. At this stage of my life I can say from the bottom of my heart that I have the most wonderful friends and with continue to admire them for the woman they are, even if they think they are nothing special.

2 comments:

E. Bryce said...

Josie!! Thanks for saying those kinds words about me...and thanks for always being there :)
ps. i love that you are back to blogging

E. Bryce said...

"The most important thing in life is your family. There are days you love them, and others you don't. But, in the end, they're the people you always come home to. Sometimes it's the family you're born into and sometimes it's the one you make for yourself."