Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It's hard to be a dude.

A few years ago I remember watching Oprah and listening to a discussion on how our society doesn’t raise boys to be men, but rather raise boys not to be women. Mothers and fathers are equally responsible for teaching boys that girls are weaker and more emotional. Parents often scold little boys not to cry when they fall and hurt themselves saying 'Be a man, toughen up.' As a result, they learn to repress their hurt.

I was thinking about that notion today and how I think we ladies do not give men enough credit sometimes. Could you imagine those days where everything is building up and you couldn't let it out? I don’t know about you, but I cry at least one a month about something. Normally it is when I’m feeling overwhelmed or frustrated and sometimes it is out of happiness. My Fiancé never understands why I cry when I’m happy.

It is such a release to cry but it is something that most men just don’t do, and I actually feel sorry for them. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think everyone should now start losing it on a daily basis but I think men should be able to express an emotion without being thought of as a lesser-man. By the way, crying as a result of a sport does not count.

On that Oprah show that I watch, there were several well respected athletes and professionals speaking about how men carry a big weight of expectation on their shoulders that they feel women don't appreciate. They want to be able to provide for their family, be sexy, be tough and strong, yet when they are struggling they are not supposed to let it show. It was interesting to see how many men felt the same way.

I still think being a woman today is harder, but I try to keep this thought in the back of my head when dealing with the men in my life. The only time I have zero sympathy for men is when they get sick, but that is a whole other story in itself.

No comments: