Tuesday, April 29, 2008

It's easy being green.

Despite what you hear on the news every night, we live in an amazing time right now. There are so many companies out there trying to make a difference in the world of being “green”. They are making leaps and bounds in terms of creating products that perform the same or even better than our popular brands and for a reasonable price.

Being a sales person at heart, I feel I need to give a shout out or a plug to two brands in particular:

1. Green Works by Clorox
2. Seventh Generation


The switch to more natural household cleaners has been a long time coming for me. I have been reading and speaking to a lot of people about how toxic our current cleaners are for the environment and our own health. So when I saw an advertisement for the new Green Works natural cleansers by Clorox, I was intrigued. Unlike other companies that try and come up with new ideas by tweaking their existing formulas, Clorox started from scratch creating natural cleansers that are made from 99% natural ingredients. These cleansers are biodegrable, not tested on animals, do not contain any harsh chemical fumes or residues, and can be found in recyclable packaging.

I use to be an avid Lycol and Vim user - you can not get any stronger than that stuff - so the Monica Gellar in me was not completely convinced in the cleaning power of these products but let me be the first to tell you that I was wrong. This stuff is amazing. I have officially switched. The all-purpose cleaner is my fav!

The next amazing company is called Seventh Generation. Located in Vermont, this company is truly at the forefront of a cultural change in consumer behaviour. The name itself is derived from the Great Law of the Iroquois that states, “In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations.” A concept I wished our grandparents would have listened too. Similar to Clorox they have created a line of non-toxic household products from phosphate-free dishwasher detergent to chlorine-free baby diapers. Every time you use a Seventh Generation product you are making a difference by saving natural resources, reducing pollution, keeping toxic chemicals out of the environment and making the world a safer place for this and the next seven generations. Brilliant concept!

The best part about these products is that you can find them in regular stores. I purchase my Seventh Generation dishwasher detergent from Canadian Tire for only $3.99 and the Green Works products from my local grocery store!

The point I want to get across is that there is no reason why we shouldn’t all be using these products and supporting companies that are trying to make a difference. We are all familiar with the theory of supply and demand. If we support these products and companies, the others will soon follow. Cost or convenience is no longer a reason to not buy green…it is easy to be green.

No comments: