Monday, February 9, 2009

"You know what really grinds my gears..."

I have had enough…I don’t want to hear it…I simply can’t take it anymore!

Why do people have to tell you how much money they spent on a purchase? I’m not talking about the people who tell you about great deals on flights. I’m also not talking about the people who tell you what they spent because they feel guilty for shopping and want you to know they didn’t spend that much. I’m talking about the people who constantly tell you what they paid, whether it is the shirt on their back or the paint on their walls, because it makes them feel good.

Let me give you a few examples…


Scenario 1
Q: “I love your living room. It's so cozy”
A: “Thanks. These curtains were only $4 at Costco and this couch was $100 since it had a small mark on it. Oh and did I mention that the lightening was only $8 a piece.”

Scenario 2
Q: “I have that same shirt. Did you get it at Banana?”
A: “Actually I got it at Winner’s for only $15.”

Please stop. Seriously people, please stop this insanity. I use to think that people did this to help other people find deals but then I realized they do this to feel like the superior shopper. It is the notion of one person being good with money and the other not so good. It is placing judgment without actually saying it. And regardless of whether you paid full price or half price, the answer to “I love your living room” is “thank you, we love it too.” And if someone says that they have the same shirt as you, don’t tell them how much you paid when you know they probably paid full price - that’s just rude.


Personally, I do not place any judgment on what people buy. If you want to spend a lot of money on a hair cut or a fancy car - all the power to you. There is no need for any of us to know the dollars and cents behind other people’s purchases and frankly I don’t want to hear it.

It is always great to get things for less than they are worth. It is the greatest feeling. But my plea is for people to keep this enjoyment to themselves. Let’s save the money talk for our accountants.

1 comment:

little h. said...

jos, i know exactly what you mean...but i know that sometimes i fall into this trap...but frankly i use it as justification...well more rationalization...yes i bought four tops today...but they were so cheap it was like i only bought one honest! hahah...i hate it though...