Thursday, March 1, 2007

And just like that, we are old…


I got an invitation in the mail today that instantly made me feel old. It was an invite to my 5 year reunion at Laurier, my University. Then I started thinking about turning 28 this year..... or should I say “twenty-great”..... and how I don’t know if I’m ok with it.

Am I the only one that used to think that by now I would be married, with 3 kids, and have the career of my dreams or at least a BMW??

Well that reality did fade quickly for me, but it is still hard to accept it. I know that sounds crazy to think that I am old but I think it is legit and I will tell you why. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m full of theories and I have one about ages. Instead of one age hill to go up and down I believe there are many, and I’m at the end of the first one.

The first hill is 1-30, where life is unpredictable, fun, and scary all at the same time. There are a lot of “firsts” and there are a lot of things you get to learn about yourself. The next hill is 31-50; this involves making your mark in the world and helping those younger than you learn from your experiences. The second last hill is 51-70. These years are great. You are confident with who you are and want to enjoy life to the fullest. The last hill is 71 to the indefinite end. I would rather not talk about this hill, but lets just say that you start to rely on others and cherish time spent with the one’s you love. Does this make sense to everyone?

SO I am the oldest of my group right now and let me tell you this age is hard and I think I have the right to vent about it. It is hard not to think about whether you are on the right track or think of what could have been. My advice to the people that are at the end of the first hill, we have to think the best is yet to come. We should be fully equip with the tools to move forward, so with a little help from our friends and significant others lets blow out those candles and get ready to start the next hill.

8 comments:

E. Bryce said...

well hello hello...I was going to give you a couple more weeks until you were finally going to post...but here you are! Love the first entry! Except we are WAY too young for you to be talking about how old we are!! Can't wait to visit your blog on a regular basis and to hear about all your miles a minute! ps. I love the Kashi crackers! and of course shout outs to Sex and the City for playing the Chicago Song! x

Anonymous said...

WOW, i totally feel the same way but never knew how to put it down on paper. Great theories Jose. I'm really liking your BLOG.

Fuzz said...

I think it's curious that the second hill starts with my age, little sister. You're essentially lumping me in with the old age pensioners! Would you consider smaller mole hills, say 31 to 35? That way Joel, who is 36 soon, can be on an older hill and I can continue to be the fresh-faced youngster in our marriage. Food for thought. Love the blog.

DRA said...

"Age is just a number"
~ D. Agro

Anonymous said...

No matter where you are in life - you are always the oldest you have ever been. I like to think of myself several years in the future looking back at the age I am currently. I know I would tell myself that I am young (certainly younger than I hope to reach one day).
As far as the achievements in life, we all achieve in our own ways and in our own time. The important thing is to celebrate our achievements and to keep moving forward. It is hard not to compare yourself with others or with what you had imagined you would achieve at each age. Just don't let it get you down. There will always be those who achieve things earlier (or later). I personally, like to compare my current self with where I was say 5 years ago. As long as feel I am moving forward in my own life - it feels good.

Just a thought

Anonymous said...

Oh, Josie Burroughs.... you're not fooling anyone! We all know how much you love your birthday and in my opinion, you're much further ahead embracing the occasion. Why dread it, darling? Champagne and cake.... getting a year older is a small price to pay. Although BMWs are nice too....

Ciao bella!
Laura T.
p.s. I now have blog-envy... looks great!
I have blog

Sarah P. said...

I've been saving my comments:
ANGORA-put it in the freezer to get rid of the fluffs. I don’t understand the theory, but try it and let me know how it turns out.
ALL-BRAN SNACK BITES-sorry, not impressed.
AGE-I’ll take your age and you can have mine.
THE WAVE-always love your WaveRave.
Sarah P.

Anonymous said...

you're a nerd...we're not even in our 30's yet Jos!!! Let's not forget that we were certain (we'd swear on our lives) in high school that by 25 we'd all be married with kids. OK, only I was. But the point is I bet the 30's are going to be just as exciting as our 20's. Think of all the firsts.. like our first 31st birthday. Oohhh..I get chills just thinking about it. Hahahaha... hills are too tiring anyways. Take the escalator Moo.