Monday, March 19, 2007

Young at heart.

When you’re young your whole life is about the pursuit of fun. Then you grow up and learn to be cautious. You could break a bone or a heart. You look before you leap and sometimes you don’t leap at all because there’s not always someone there to catch you. And in life there’s no safety net.

Most people who know me would say I am very optimistic. I do try to learn from every experience and turn it into something positive. However, sometimes I fall off the sturdy rails of the positive track and instead of having fun, I get scared.


So the question is when did it stop being fun and start being scary? Why do we lose that excitement for life that little kids always have?

I think it is when we start to compare ourselves to others, when we try to accommodate everyone, when we become practical but lose faith and hope, and when we lose sight of how there are many people less fortunate.

I want to make the right decisions in my life but too often I find myself wanting others to make them for me because I’m scared to make those big leaps. Well after a little soul searching I have decided to leave fear being and start having fun again. There may not be a life safety net, but there are those people you can rely on to help break the fall. I’m still going to look before I leap because I’m not that spontaneous, but I’m going to have a little more faith in that everything is going to be ok. Actually, it’s going to be great!


So the next time you see a little kid having fun, like my niece in this picture, let that be a reminder of enjoying the journey of life.

3 comments:

E. Bryce said...

Take those leaps! I will be there if you fall :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah Moo, who wants to break a bone when you're old like us? Hahaha...we're not old!! But on the same note, as I age I find myself sometimes even venturing out more, just to prove to myself I still can (even if I REALLY don't want to). Spontaneity could be a matter of how young you feel at heart versus your actual age :o) We all know those 30 somethings that are crazier than most teens (I won't name names). It's like some genetic make up I swear.

Anonymous said...

Isabella is soooooo cute. I totally agree about youth being so "Carefree" and having a joie de vivre. Why is it that we care so much what others think as we grow older. It's true that we don't appreciate our youth when we're that age. Lets make a pack that we'll jump even if we're scared...